Monday 26 December 2011

Christmas Day: food and drink 2011

The photograph below with the accompanying marginalia has been inspired by a discussion I had recently at Tate Modern.  One of the other visually impaired members of the group discussed not being able to “go out on a whim” and do some shopping.  This chimed with what I’ve been saying in the blog, so I was lucky enough to be taken on Christmas Eve afternoon by a friend into two busy supermarkets.  My old fridge freezer packed up (the door fell off!) during the winter solstice and there was some shuffling of Christmas goodies in and out of another freezer cabinet.  Luckily much of it was eaten before Christmas, so some restocking was required.  This would have been impossible without the assistance of a pair of eyes. 

During the day I exchanged tweets and good wishes and a few jokes with some of my Twitter community.  This is an unedited version of my outgoing tweets and retweets.  The photograph has been assembled with precision worthy an art installation and most of my tweet comments on food, wine and music can be heard on a screenreader .  It’s difficult to describe a download from a computer of some Scottish music.  This is almost the same as a philosophical discussion about the benefits of a digital over an analogue recording of John Cage’s Silence. 

My recent post about the medieval manuscripts at the Wallace Museum described a 21st century version with marginalia by Twitter.  I hope this encourages some visually impaired to join Twitter as this can cut down some isolation. It’s also very time efficient in that you don’t feel obliged to reply or go through the embarrassment of screening calls or messages. 


Wishing you all the best for 2012!



Thank you for your company; still worried about St Vitus Dance risk if I finish my day with an 8some reel. I'm using headphones. Ta Ra
»

@Gaelicsinger #Nollaig Chridheil ach chan'eil #Kindl idir agam; 'S Kindl uile aig...
»

@GHmltn Dire!
»

Discussing St Vitus Dance now on @BBCradio3 Stop the Bluebell Polka by Sir Jimmy Shand A health warning from Mr (Silicone) Lansley!
»

Hylda Baker buying onions on a rainy day. Greengrocer: Are you pickling? Hylda: No, it's my umbrella. That's for you, @ProfWhitestick
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

@DrMatthewSweet I must get a 2nd hand for my talking watch. Happy Xmas and LOL!
»

You can't have too many candle-powered Christmas ornaments. http://pic.twitter.com/NkLcbCPc
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

@DrMatthewSweet The duet:Arthur Mullard and Hylda Baker doing 'You are the 1 that I want" a high point of culture.
»

@S_J_Lancaster Oh, yes you can! There were candles at a 'Blind' charity fundraiser I attended and I re-enacted an Immolation Scene!
»

Awkward part of Xmas ritual:Buxtehude coming to an end but I feel the moment is not quite right for Jimmy Shand; will Patsy Cline do?
»

The Queen done; the Roquefort has been taken out of my new fridge. From Kippers via Franconia to cheese- it could be Morningside in London.
»

@Beathhigh @jonemmans Jings! Forget The Broons, check out my icon at Abbey Road
»

So what did we think of the Queen's Speech? #sockittoemMaam
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

'Ran' into this group playing in NW3 mall.They fund raise plus are great players http://thelydianstring.com/ - cd called A Sound for all Seasons
»

#chemistry Chemists make good cooks? For proof, check out the lab ceiling and not the floor!
»

@obreption The old fridge packed up (RIP) on Winter Solstice. It knew not the hour!
»

*Hansel* ohne Gretl #Franken #Scotland Franconia 2009 Silvaner Nordheimer Vögelein Spätlese trocken Cheers,slainte,zum Wohl!!
»

No sign of 3Kings yet bearing frankincense so I have used a bottle of Frankenwein to *hansel* my new fridge-freezer.
»

@james_randerson Think so, but my nmr days in 1970s are probably not forgiven by my molecules!
»

Merry Christmas to everyone and enjoy the friends you have in this world; the next world can look after itself!
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

Re: Nollaig Chridheil :: Reply: Agus bhuamsa dhuibh uile a chàirdean - tha e math a bhith còmhla ruibh!Taing sòn... http://bit.ly/tugu9M
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

@james_randerson Santa could not bring me an nmr machine! Happy Christmas
»

@MsLogica Merry Christmas :)
»

@CameoCurio Merry Christmas to you as well
»

@obreption Nollaig Chridheil
»

@domenicogl Thanks and best wishes to Natasha and your team.
»

Now listening to some Scottish music which a friend has downloaded 4 me as a present. It's beautiful! http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-scotland-s-music--double-cd--cd.aspx
»

The dog's present has lasted 5 minutes!!!
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

@Aceil Merry Christmas and thanks for your help the other day.
»

@S_J_Lancaster Same to you and best wishes for your research.
»

@F1bum Vroom Vroom and all the best vroom vroom
»

@domenicogl Happy Christmas, your presents were audio described to me!
»

@oldmapman And to you Ken.
»

@StargardtEyes Thanks and all the best.
»

@burdzeyeview Must be a recipe from a creative writer. Merry Christmas:)
»

To all of you like me who swim against the itde, don't worry about a Christmas Day Walk and get ready for the Twelth Day Walk with Old Maps
Retweeted by @ProfWhitestick
»

A Merry Christmas everyone, wherever you are. I have JS Bach playing in background and a strong reek of kippers is wafting through the air.